Like any major metropolis, Mexico City offers a diverse range of transportation options: public, private, and ridesharing services. Even so, many residents and visitors still struggle to get around the city with ease.
This can be attributed to a simple lack of understanding of how to use the existing multi-modal transportation system efficiently, compounded by a lack of transparency around key data points like bus routes, travel times, cost, etc.
To help get Mexico City moving, Ford is asking app developers to leverage data from public transportation organizations, private transportation companies, and crowd-sourced projects to help Mexico City residents and visitors get to their destinations — using a wide range of transportation options — in the best and most efficient way possible.
We want you to reimagine what multi-modal transportation in Mexico City could look like by creating software that will integrate public, private, and shared modes of transportation into a single, on-demand routing platform. We’re arming you with the best and latest data resources to build a data-rich app that helps people make informed decisions about how to travel through the city.
How can you help users map their journey based on the current or expected traffic, cost of travel, ease of travel, efficiency, travel time, or safety? How can you encourage seamless communication between existing platforms, or identify the easiest way to pay for a journey?
Public bus, microbus, bike, walk, taxi, rideshare, or car? We need your hacking skills, combined with our data resources, to help Mexico City travelers figure out their smartest journey.
$29,000 in prizes
Best Student Application
SinTráfico API Award
12 months of free SinTráfico API access will be awarded to the highest scoring application to integrate and use the SinTráfico API. See Resources page for API key.
Popular Choice Award
Large Organization Recognition Award
Non-cash, recognition only for Large Organizations only
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
This challenge is open to:
- Individuals (who have reached the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry); Teams of eligible individuals; Organizations (up to 50 employees).
- Organizations with over 50 employees may compete for the non-cash Large Organization Recognition Award.
Software applications that have been submitted to a previous Ford-sponsored competition run on Devpost and have won a prize are not eligible for this competition.
Ford employees are not allowed to compete in this competition.
What to Create: You must create (or have created) a working software application that:
- Helps Mexico City residents, visitors, and transportation providers better utilize efficient multi-modal transportation options within Mexico City.
- On-demand routing / wayfinding features to encourage the use of efficient multi-modal transportation in Mexico City
- Transportation options based on current/expected traffic, cost, ease of use, efficiency, travel time, or safety
- Is created for the consumer as the end user.
- Integrates data to support at least two modes of transportation: public, private, and/or shared transportation options (RTP, Eco-cycle, Uber, Carpool, Microbus, Walking, etc.). Transportation data may be publicly available data; crowdsourced data; AND/OR data collected directly from a transportation provider via hardware.
Submit the following assets:
- A demo video (hosted on YouTube, Vimeo, or Youku). Your video should include a screencast or demo of your working application via a step-by-step visual demo.
- Please submit at least one image/screenshot of your application.
- A way to access your working web application for judging and testing.
Language: All submission materials must be in English, as well as all written materials. If the video, text description, and testing instructions are not in English, an English translation or subtitles must be provided.
New & Existing Solutions: Solutions may be newly created or pre-existing. If you are submitting an existing solution (developed prior to this competition), your solution must include new features/functionality added after the submission period began, which specifically focus on encouraging the use of efficient multi-modal transportation options within Mexico City. If you are entering an existing solution, you will be required to explain the new features in the submission form.
How to enter
- Register for the Ford Mexico Smart Journey competition..
- Visit the Problem and Data & Resources pages to learn more about the transportation options and data available for Mexico City.
- Find a teammate (optional). Do you have the UX chops, but need someone who can code? Are you a genius coder, but need some design flair? Join our competition-only Slack channel.
- Build your app!
- Shoot your demo screencast video and take screenshots of your functioning app.
- Provide a way for us to access your solution.
- Make sure your entry adheres to all the requirements and submit on FordMexicoSmartJourney.Devpost.com before 5pm ET on August 2, 2016.
President & CEO, Ford of Mexico
General Manager, Uber Mexico
Héctor Serrano Cortés
Secretary of Mobility, Mexico City
Founder & CEO, Carrot
General Director, Endeavor Mexico
Karina Licea Viñas
Urban Planner & Sharing Economy Entrepreneur
Jose Ramon Zavala
Automotive & Business Journalist, Autos y Mas
Fighting for the rights of pedestrians in Mexico City
Ford Internal Panel
Quality of the Idea
Includes creativity and originality of the idea.
Implementation of the Idea
Includes how well the idea was executed by the developer.
Potential Value to End User
Includes the extent to which the solution may increase the efficient use of multi-modal transportation by Mexico City consumers, as well as the ability to track transportation routes, stops, and schedules by transportation providers.
Includes the extent to which different data sources are integrated into the application. Scores will be higher for those who add more than two data sources.